Self-employed? No deduction statement means no rebate! Or worse!

If you are self-employed and paid through the CIS and your contractor deducts 20% of your wages they must, by law, give you a monthly CIS deduction statement that details how much you have been paid, and how much you have been deducted. No ifs, no buts, no maybes.

Need some advice? Our knowledgeable, friendly team are ready to pick up the phone.

Put the kettle on and give us a
call on 01245 493832

Why is this important to you? Well if you don’t have that statement and if the contractor hasn’t submitted his own reports (and simply pocketed your tax) you can’t prove that you have actually had your tax money deducted by the contractor. And to make matters worse, HMRC are likely to say that the “Net” amount that you have been paid is actually the gross amount of earnings – and because you can’t prove otherwise, they will tax you again on your net earnings!

Checks that you can undertake for your own peace of mind…

  • When you start with a contractor, they should ask you for your UTR and NI numbers as sole trader or UTR and Company Registration number for a company. If they don’t it is extremely unlikely they will try to verify you.
  • The contractor must supply you with monthly CIS statements. The statement must state the gross amount paid plus the CIS tax deducted – and in theory paid to HMRC. The contractor must make these payments to HMRC monthly.
  • In line with HMRCs guidance it is good practice to back up the amount you have been paid and deducted by keeping your own records. For example, invoices showing the CIS deduction. If you do not have invoices, at least have timesheets with the day rate and deductions totalled.
  • If you are still in doubt you can call HMRC on 0300 200 3210 (CIS department) and they can advise you.

If you need advice or help with your tax return contact the EEBS team or call 01245 493823 or click Tax Return Service

Get a Free Quote for your Construction Payroll

"*" indicates required fields

EEBS needs the contact information you provide to us to contact you about our products and services. You may unsubscribe from these communications at anytime. For information on how to unsubscribe, as well as our privacy practices and commitment to protecting your privacy, check out our Privacy Policy.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Nick Pilgrim

M.D. | CIS Payroll Expert
01245 493832

Nick loves nothing more than chewing the fat over CIS payroll queries – actually that’s not strictly true; he likes playing golf and driving round Europe, but pick up the phone to him anyway!

Who are we, anyway?

EEBS clients are covered by our cast iron guarantee, providing you with 100% HMRC compliance

Our ongoing review process to keep them one step ahead of both current and proposed legislative changes

Uniquely, our service has never been challenged by HMRC in over 20 years of operations.